Tuesday 2 April 2013

Soda Bread

This week, I have promised myself that I would not buy bread, but would make it myself. I made a nice loaf of wholemeal on Saturday which lasted me pretty much until today so I decided to make some more tonight: but being very tired after work, I decided to try Soda Bread as it is supposed to be very quick and easy. I also wanted to use up the buttermilk I had left over from the Hot Cross Buns and so this seemed perfect.
The recipe I used was:

150g plain flour
150g wholemeal flour
1 tsp bicarb
1 1/2 tsp salt
250g buttermilk

The recipe didn't mention it, but the dough was very wet and kept sticking to my hands. I persevered however, and after it was in the oven, googled it and found out that this was pretty normal. Once in the oven, the bread held it's shape and even rose a bit.

The end result was a really nice bread with a soft crumb and rustic appearance  It naturally breaks into four, so will last me four days. Very impressed and another staple in my house I think!



No comments:

Post a Comment